Now, I'd had these same thoughts on about every birthday since I was 19. But this time I was really determined to do something about it. Maybe it was the fact that I was now closer to 30 than 20 and I'd started to feel like life was going to pass me by unless I took charge somehow (I know, my 70 year old self will laugh at that). But one way or another I decided that this was going to be the year, by golly. I was really going to do it.
Just to be clear, I do not believe that our worth is not determined by a number on a scale or that any of us should become obsessed with obtaining the "perfect" body. I just wanted to lose the weight I had gained from birth control and practice some healthier habits of eating and exercising. It was just a personal thing.
So I started tracking my food and making sure I wasn't eating any more than 1,500 calories a day (that's a number calculated specifically for my gender, age, height, etc.). Did I do perfect? No way. But I kept on trying. I also made exercise a regular part of my routine. Usually I didn't exercise for more than a 1/2 hour or 40 min max, and it wasn't anything fancy. But I kept on trying. Persistence and patience was the key (starting to sound cliche, but it's true!).
Well, this past Monday was my 27th birthday. And I'm happy to say - I did it!! Over the past year I lost around 20 pounds, and I got just a little more fit. And it feels really good to be looking and feeling like my old self again. :)


That's a lot of determination and consistency! Congrats on reaching your goal!
ReplyDelete