In connection with my last post, I'd like to share a truth that I've become increasingly convinced of over the past couple years:
The Lord wishes for us to find happiness in each stage of our lives.
I really believe this is true. No matter what stage of life we are in, it's possible to find happiness, even in small pieces.
It's not, "Enjoy things now because it's only going to get worse!!"
(Few things bug me more than this kind of statement - really, how is that supposed to be motivating?)
Rather it's just, "Enjoy things now because there are things to be enjoyed now! There will be things to enjoy later too, but why wait until then?"
Of course, each stage of life has its challenges, some much more serious than others. I'm not saying something is wrong if we don't feel ecstatically happy every single second of our lives. Only that we don't need to purposely postpone our happiness until a future date. We can give ourselves permission to enjoy things that are special about right now. And I think it can be easier to deal with the challenges of one stage when we're not weighed down with regret of not appreciating the last one.
In pondering on these ideas, I've made a list of good things from each stage of my life so far. Even though it's specific to my life, maybe you can relate to some of them?
Things that were awesome about childhood:
- Virtually no responsibilities
- The capacity to feel infinite joy (think Christmas morning)
- The absence of self-consciousness (at least to an extent)
- Classic TV shows like The Magic School Bus, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Sesame Street, Wishbone, Arthur, Kratts Creatures, etc.!
- Time to PLAY
- Laughing a lot more often
- Being able to wear cute, frilly dresses
Things that were awesome about being a teenager:
- Having a little more responsibility, but still plenty of room for fun
- Being able to wear "women's" clothing
- Being involved in awesome school groups and classes that helped me develop my talents
- School camps and trips
- Still living at home, close to family
- Traveling and living around the world with my family
Things that were awesome about being a single, young adult in college:
- Finally being old enough that I could go spend my money on whatever I wanted (mwah hah hah)
- Finally feeling like a grown up
- Having freedom to go where I wanted to go, do what I wanted to do at the drop of a hat
- Getting to know lots of different people
- Roommates (many of whom are still my very best friends :)
- Taking fantastic classes at BYU
- Being involved in BYU Women's Chorus and Folk Dance (what I wouldn't give to perform with each of them one more time...oops, but see, there I'm longing for the past, lol)
Things that are awesome NOW about being married (and which I wouldn't trade for anything):
- Being able to live with my best friend
- Always having a companion
- Having someone around to discuss thoughts and ideas
- Having a handyman around who knows how to fix things (including me, when I am emotionally or otherwise broken :)
- Not having to go through life's experiences alone
- Having someone to make happy
- Quiet evenings in each other's company
- Having the freedom to go places and do things together on our own schedule
- Quiet evenings in each other's company
- Having the freedom to go places and do things together on our own schedule
- Feeling content and settled
There's something liberating about making a list like this. I can appreciate the good of the past without wishing to return to it because there are good things in the present that I definitely wouldn't want to give up. And similarly, I don't need to be afraid of the future because I trust that there will be things to love about those chapters too.
Oooo...I just had an epiphany.
Maybe this is why people sometimes say that there is "power in gratitude".
Maybe this is part of the reason why the Lord commands to be grateful.
It helps us be happier, more content, and more hopeful.
Hmmm...
I am DEFINITELY guilty of either longing for the past or wishing that the next chapter would hurry up and come (or even being afraid of the next chapter). I regret that so much of my life has been spent in one of those extremes. But I can testify that it is possible to find the happy medium. It's easier said than done, but it is possible. Especially if we ask the Lord to help us.
To finish up, here's one of my favorite talks by the President of our church, Thomas S. Monson, that has played a huge role in bringing me to these conclusions. He is a living prophet who receives inspiration and revelation from God to guide us in today's world. That means we can trust his words.
What life experiences have you been grateful for?
Any ideas on how to make my posts shorter? Haha.

Rachel - loved your post!! It is so true. Beautifully written and great thoughts!
ReplyDeleteOhhh Rachy how I needed to read this post.
ReplyDeleteI'm currently suffering from single-living, haha. "Suffering", because really, I have just about everything I could want in life. I'm surrounded by friends, including my sweet, fun roommates, I have SO MUCH FREEDOM, I have money, I have time for my millions of hobbies, and I have my hopes and aspirations for a bright, bright future. What more could I want? I keep asking myself this, and honestly there's just one thing I lack: patience. I'm just so eager to get myself hitched I'm missing this! I'm missing NOW! This week's prayers are going to be dedicated to forming an attitude of gratitude for the wonderful things I'm experiencing at this marvelous stage of my life--and finding people who need help doing the same! :) Thanks, Rachy!
Thanks Marian!! So glad it was helpful for you. I COMPLETELY understand where you're at right now. It's completely natural to feel the way you feel...I felt that way for a really long time. You don't need to feel guilty if you're not enjoying EVERY second of every day. But I am so glad that there are so many good things going on for you right now! :D And I do hope you can enjoy them a bit. I love you! :)
DeleteI love this-It's such a good idea to make a list! It helps me appreciate the past, love the present, and look forward to the future :)
ReplyDeleteIt really does, doesn't it? Thanks Aura Maria!
DeleteHey you! I love your posts and how you make me think! I always have way more thoughts than could be reasonably be put in a comment so I chicken out. Typing on my phone doesn't help either. So many adventures lay in store for you! And re you last post question about being a mom....yea there are hard parts, but really, it is the best job ever. And you'd be surprised how much time for creativity, reading and other fun stuff you have! Xo -a
ReplyDeleteThank you Ashley!! I have to tell you, you are one of my inspirations when it comes to motherhood. I've told Michael this before. Fewer times have I felt more hopeful and excited to be a parent than when I've watched you and Nate around your girls. It's obvious how much you adore your kids, and I feel like when I watch you guys I get a glimpse into some of the best and funnest aspects of family life. I also love listening to you talk to your girls. I feel like I learn something every time that I want to tuck away in my memory and use someday. You choose your words and phrases so well as to both express love and teach at the same time. Anyway...just wanted you to know that somebody has noticed what a great job you are doing, and it has helped me so much. Thanks for being such a wonderful example and big sister (it's so fun to finally have one)! Love you!!
DeleteI love this post, and I love your picture! Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDelete